My 5hip

This is my ship. Her name is Magic. I am the shipmaster. Welcome aboard :)

Monday, November 21, 2005

Dilemma

Sometimes, it is difficult for me to understand some texts. I can't get the gist of them, and where they took their rise in. They are vague and too complicated for me to comprehend.

These are the possibilities:

Low self-confidence: I'm a shallow person; I am not able to understand deep subjects. Solution: Read more books and improve my comprehension ability.

Inevitable possibility: After years of studying engineering, I become a digital person. I just can feel and understand touchable and visible ideas. I'm blind to see all the colors, the only colors that I can recognize is Black and white. Solution: Communicate with people from other branch of science. Talk with them and ask for their perspective about different subjects;

Self-confident: A friend of mine is a poet. She says "new poems". I was reading her poem 10 times, and I didn't understand it. It was just beautiful words following each other with no meaning. I don't know Persian or those words really doesn't have meanings. I saw some people admired her. I believed that they didn't understand either, but they haven't been as honest as me. Neither was the poet; I bet. This can also be true for those texts that I don't understand. Solution : Stay honest and don't care if you don't understand something.

Selfish: I believe that the art is to write a complicated subject in the way that most people could understand, then why some people turn the bit around their neck to put in their mouth? If I don't understand it shows the weakness of writing. Solution: Ask them to explain you how it feels to say things with implication. Problem: What if they implied the answer either? ;)

Slur over: It doesn't matter you understand the same meaning that author was thinking about. The goal is to get something from every texts. Each person has his own point of view. Even if you don't understand anything it doesn't mean that this is meaningless; it means that you don't have common feeling with writer; that's all, and it is not a big deal.

9 Comments:

  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Hydra said…

    Well, what kinda texts are you talking about? You should know that there are a lotta bad writers out there who lack basic communication skills.

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Kimia said…

    If I make sure that they are poor writers, it does not bother me. I'm pretty sure that they are powerful writers. The texts I am talking about are like they have a good main idea because after I read several times I hardly understand the meaning.
    I guess I have problems with implication. My Processor is not able to translate properly. It goes word by word :)

     
  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger jarvenpa said…

    Some subjects in any language are hard to understand, I think, or take a while to mull over. Although I read really quickly (at least in my own language), if I am reading poetry, or philosophy I need to think about what I am reading. And were I to try to read complicated books on science of any sort I would probably have to stop at each word.
    But also there are different ways to approach the world, and some people learn very well from reading, while others learn from hearing or moving or in some other way. You are wise to be so self aware.

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Dr O2 said…

    hmmm... the last option is somewhat what I am with all the way. It is not important whether it is the same meaning or not unless it is a textbook ;-) which also ain't that important as they all change in a few years time to say the exact opposite!

    but as for writing; writing in an understandable fashion is the strength which one must develope. If it is misleading then the reader has the right to have his own take on it...

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger Hydra said…

    Dear Kimi, so how do you know they have a good main idea, if you hardly understand the meaning? The way I see it, good writing is not about having good ideas, but about communicating any idea efficiently in a way that it would be pleasant for the reader. Poetic writing is a different story.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Spyder said…

    I understand being blind to colors as well, its all black and white. But if you open you eyes long enough, colors well form. Your 5 pts are well made, but I doubt that is all there is to it.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Kimia said…

    Dear Javerna, You are right. It depends on subject I'm weak in poetry and philosophy. That's why I don't understand this kind of texts. I'm wondering if this is a talent that some people have and some people like me don't, or it's just that I have to focus more and don't give up fast.

    Dear Hydra, everybody says that my friend is a creative poet. Sometimes after she describes the meaning I say vow.. well done, but I need her to explain it for me :)
    Ok you said poetic writing is a different story.

    Hej, Doc. I must confess that sometimes I read your posts like 10 times to catch the meaning, and finally, I'm not sure if I did understand right. I would say you are a genius to choose the last one, that's exactly what I do when I read your blog and I do really love to make comments, even though it might be an irrelevant comment but it's the reflection of your writing in my brain.

    Spyder, I’m sure it’s not complete because already after I saw my friend’s comments I can add four other options :D

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Dr O2 said…

    lol dear Kimia it is just the beauty of the words :-) to be totally honest when I read some posts & comments on my own blog & others I decide that their take is much better than mine & pretend I was thinking like it all he way ;-) Plz don' hesitate to comment no matter what the take.

    I am usually in the state of experiencing flight-of-idea. Refer to THE-LAST-OPTION straight away in reading my pieces.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Vicente Rodrigo said…

    I admire your sincerity

     

Post a Comment

<< Home