My 5hip

This is my ship. Her name is Magic. I am the shipmaster. Welcome aboard :)

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Christmas gift

I need help to choose a good book about Iran for my boss as a Christmas gift. I want it to be a recently published book, which looked positively at this poor land. There is always a strange awfully negative documentaries about Iran and Iranian nation in American TV.
It can be History, Picture, or poem?? I don't know what is your suggestion?
My boss is a very alive active 82 years old gentleman. He is interested to know more about Iran, I am sure about that.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am not an expert about latest book about Iran. but I think in regard of photos you find quite a lot!
    the books I read I liked are:
    Samarkand by Amin Maalouf: about Hassan SAbah, Khahyam va khajeh Nasredin if I recall correctly. welwritten book it is historical but in form of novel.

    2. Persian Mirrors/ the elusive face of Iran by Elaine Sciolio
    This is recent book up to few years of Khatami Presidency, It tells the truth about current Iranian society. something stuck between modernisem and tradition. good interiews with Fayzeh Hashemi. Novel form.

    3. I Also read Blood and Oil: Inside the Shah's Iran
    by Manuchehre farman farmayan, in historical and Novel form, didn't like it too boring!

    4. Read reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi, found it all right if read by Iranian and specially women! not very much impressed.

    check Amazon for Iran and they have tons! good luck
    p.s. my boss knows more about Iran sometimes than me.
    He gave me a book called The physician by Noah Gordon about Bo Ali Sina and how a person from Europe goes to just learn medicine from him!

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not into this kind of stuff, but I doubt an 82 year American southerner would bother to read a big book about Iran. That said, I think classic Persian literature books is good. You can go for Rubaiyat (Khayyam) or Rumi(Molavi).

     
  • At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why don't you post?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home